Monday, January 7, 2013

Picking a Style or Switching It Up

So, do you use thrifting to keep up your style or do you use it to help you try out new styles without paying a fortune for it?

I keep telling myself that I'm going to use thrifting as a way to try new colors and introduce a bit more bold, but so far, I've been fairly unsuccessful.  Not because those things weren't available at my local stores, they were.  I just seem to lean towards neutrals.  Over and over again.  The closest I got was a dark pink/purple t-shirt that had an ever so slight puff on the sleeve.  So slight that you couldn't really notice it.  And it was a t-shirt, which is my staple.

Honestly, the most bold and colorful thing I thrifted in 2012 was my makeup bag.  Which I love, but I can't wear.

I know going in to the store I should have a good idea of what I'm looking for.  About half the time I'm on target with that.  Or maybe I'm half on target all of the time.  I can go in and know I'm looking for tops.  Or prints.  Or core pieces.  But I can't seem to go in and say, I absolutely must leave with a red top and something with print.  I think it's because I feel it's force.  On the flipside, if I don't force myself to try out this new stuff, I'll never really commit to being more stylish!  Ahhhh!  What do do what to do.

I'll keep my eyes open to see what's popular this year and I'll try and go in with a more focused approach.  I am always looking for cardigans (I never find any in a size or style that flatters) and I'd like to find scarves.  Everyone is wearing scarves now and I'd like to try it out, but not at $20-25 a pop.  So far, no luck there.

I have gotten a couple of great core pieces (brand new jeans, khaki skirt, khaki shorts and a jean jacket).  This makes me wonder, maybe I've got this thrifting thing backwards?  Should I shop the thrift store for the core pieces and leave the accessories and fads for other stores sales?  I hadn't really considered that before, but it seems like it could be a possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment