Thursday, January 3, 2013

Clutter-Free Cabinets!

I've mentioned (and photographed!) my poor closet and cabinet organizational skills before.  It's been a problem for me for as long as I can remember.  Any place I can hide stuff away, I don't bother with organizing.  It's an issue I'm trying to deal with.  Regularly.  *ahem*

I can proudly say, though, that yesterday, during my son's therapy session, I had clutter-free cabinets!  I know, I know.  You're wondering why it is that my cabinets matter to my big guys therapy.  Well, I'll tell you!  At the moment he is working on learning life skills.  Simple things that we all do each day and don't really think too much about.  Yesterday he was learning his way around the kitchen to make a bowl of oatmeal.

Our kitchen was probably the area that took the biggest hit during the move.  I went from a huge kitchen to a tiny one, so I was forced to really take a good hard look at what I needed and what was just extra.  It was tough.  Agonizing, even.  But it got done and boy am I glad it did, because his therapist was giving him cues and clues on how to find things and using deductive reasoning.  I have to admit that when she opened up the first cabinet door, my heart stopped for just the briefest of moments.  I had that second of worry that something would topple out.  But nothing did.  Not from the second one either.  In fact, door after door, she swung open my cabinets to find clean, organized shelves.  Seriously, I wanted to dance.  I can't even imagine what would have happened in the other house.  I had so many cabinets and so much stuff that I just couldn't figure out how to organize it all.  So I didn't.

I worried, before the move, how we were going to manage with so much less space.  How we would fit.  How we would decide what was just clutter and what was truly needed in our lives.  I have to tell you, it was hard, but looking back, not as hard as I'd expected.  This move may have been the best thing to happen to me (as an organizationally challenged pack rat that is)!


No comments:

Post a Comment