Sunday, October 14, 2012

Smashing Pumpkins!

Friday night, when Dave got home from work, he informed me that we were going to see the Smashing Pumpkins on Saturday night. It was a total surprise! He bought the tickets and got a sitter all by himself. Awwww!

Unfortunately yesterday wasn't my best food day. I wound up sharing noodles and curry with Dave, going to the concert and then hitting up Taco Bell afterwards. Eeek! As disappointed in my choices as I am, I'm not going to dwell on it. I'm back on track (mostly) today and feeling good about the great time I had last night.

Anyhow, last night was the first time Dave and I have ever left our boys (who are 10 and 11) with a sitter that wasn't my parents. We see them once a year, so that should give you an idea of how often we go out. :P It was so refreshing to reconnect with him doing something fun and that we were excited about. I felt quite a bit like a kid again. We were both giddy and relaxed.

The show was great! Anberlin opened and though I'd never heard them before, I completely enjoyed their energy. They were fun, gracious, energetic..just perfect to get everyone warmed up.

After a short break, Smashing Pumpkins came out and did the whole Oceania album. Loved it. They then did a cover of Ziggy Stardusts Ground Control to Major Tom. It was wonderful! They made it their own but were able to maintain the integrity of the original. It was a really nice segue into their older early 90's stuff. Fan. Tas. Tic! Seriously.. I totally felt like a teenager again. Until this exchange happened on stage....

Billy Corgan (after a brief chat with the crowd): I'd like to play a depressing song now.
Crowd: roars
Billy Corgan: Oh! You like depressing music?
Crowd: more cheering
Corgan: Yeah..me too. It's been working out for me for the past 20 years.

My internal voice screamed at me.... "When did you get old enough to have been listening to anything for 20 years!!!?"

Wow...really gave me a huge dose of reality. Lol. Just the same, I was thrilled to be there listening to something I listened to 20 years ago.

My favorite moment of the night? (Apart from the kick ass music?) The band really didn't do too much talking and that is just fine by me, I'm there to see them perform, but they did take a short time to interact with the crowd.. here's how that went...

Jeff Schroeder: It's Saturday night, these people need to get out and party all night.

Billy Corgan: (sings a la Black Eyed Peas) Tonight's gonna be a good night...yeah tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

Crowd: roars with laughter and cheers

Corgan: (sings it one more time). Yeah. You guys know that's the club you're going to be at later.

It was hysterical. It likely doesn't translate to text very well, one of those "you had to be there moments". But seriously, if I hadn't enjoyed any other moment (which I totally enjoyed every other moment) that alone would have been worth the price of admission!

No comments:

Post a Comment